February is the month of Valentine's Day, which has everyone thinking of the heart. And since the heart is a donatable organ, it's time to think about organ donation, according to the Transplant Games of America. Oh, and also about hosting that great event.
The Transplant Games of America just happen to be seeking a host for summer 2024. If your city wants to host a great multi-sport event with good press, great stories and the potential for residual tourism, you won’t want to miss this one.
The Donate Life Transplant Games, produced by the Transplant Life Foundation is a national, festival-style event for organ, eye, and tissue recipients as well as organ donors, donor families, and supporters. The purpose of the games is to raise awareness of the tremendous advances in the field of transplantation, the critical need for donors, and to recognize donors and their families.
The Transplant Games follow a 32-year tradition and are held biennially. Athletes participate in up to twenty different sports and registered attendees have access to almost 50 other special events; however, the games are much more than an athletic competition.
The event has become a significant reunion bringing together recipients, donor families, living donors, healthcare professionals, organ procurement organizations, family members, and friends.
The games offer something for everyone. Some additional programs and activities held in conjunction with the games include:
• 5K Race/Walk for Organ, Eye, and Tissue Donation Awareness – A public event to support a national campaign to celebrate the gift of life, and to find more donors and save lives.
• Donor Recognition Ceremony – Part of the Honors Program, a memorial tribute to recognize individuals who have made the selfless act of donation. This stirring event allows transplant athletes and others to honor donors and their families for their tremendous gifts.
• Seminar/Workshop Program – A Series of programs of topical subjects designed to provide information, education, and support for individuals in all stages of the transplantation process. Includes grief counseling, adaptation, and wellness training.
• TGA Village – A central focus of the Transplant Games of America includes the TGA village-a gathering place for athletes, donor families, and living donors to congregate and enjoy each other in a setting that is both relaxing and fun. The village includes an internet café, a lounge for kicking back and enjoying friends amidst sponsor exhibits, vendor booths, and pin trading area.
A central stage hosts a series of events including the “Live! From the TGA” broadcasts, various entertainment features, and culminates with the Living Donor Tribute and Closing ceremonies. The Transplant Games include competitive events meant to challenge and draw interest from all transplant recipients and living donors.
As with many of the festival events, including the Olympics, the Donate Life Transplant Games include events that are physically and mentally challenging. Transplant athletes compete for Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals within two divisions as well as competitive age groups ranging from as young as 2 years old with no upper age limit.
The list of competitive medal events planned for 2024 are as follows:
- 5K Road Race
- Ballroom Dancing
- Lyrics for Life
- Table Tennis
- Texas Hold-em Poker
- Track & Field
- Trivia Challenge
- Virtual Triathlon
- Youth Olympiad **
The Transplant Life Foundation reserves the right to increase, decrease or change the mix of sports depending on local conditions and changes in the competitive environment.
Below are expected attendance statistics for the 2024 Donate Life Transplant Games produced by the Transplant Life Foundation:
- Opening Ceremonies: 8,000-10,000
- Donor Families: 800-1000
- Living Donor Athletes: 250
- Living Donors: 250
- Transplant Athletes: 1,800
- Transplant Professionals: 300
The estimated economic impact from this six-day event is valued at over $10 million dollars brought into the community by these visiting participants.
You may download the RFP documents below:
For additional information contact:
Transplant Games of America
C/O The Transplant Life Foundation
1595 Galbraith Ave. SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49546
BID SUBMISSION DEADLINE IS 11:59 p.m. EASTERN TIME, FRIDAY, MARCH 15, 2022