Spring is setting in along Alabama’s beaches with a host of youth, high school and collegiate athletic events and many festivals taking center stage. Headliners for the spring 2022 sports and events lineup include local baseball and softball tournaments, AISA and AHSAA state track championships, the NCAA Beach Volleyball Championship and the NAIA Men’s & Women’s Outdoor Track & Field National Championship.
“As we work to continue to build events outside of the peak summer season, we are encouraged by the growth we’re seeing for returning events on the docket as well as new events, like USAV Para Beach Volleyball.” said Michelle Russ, STS, vice president of sales, sports and events for Gulf Shores | Orange Beach Sports & Events. “As event attendance and capacity get back to normal levels this year, we expect sports and event tourism economic impact to be up for the spring.”
The Gulf Shores High School-sponsored Gulf Coast Classic baseball and softball tournaments and the Orange Beach High School-sponsored Orange Beach Classic softball tournaments kick of spring ball season with multiple events through March. From car, boat and art shows to senior softball, para beach volleyball and collegiate golf, there are plenty of opportunities for families, fans and eventgoers to take in events and explore the area.
Key events taking place this spring include the following:
- March 14-16: Gulf Coast Classic I Softball Tournament
- March 14-17: Gulf Coast Classic I Baseball Tournament
- March 18-20: Wharf Boat & Yacht Show
- March 21-23: Gulf Coast Classic II Softball Tournament
- March 21-24: Gulf Coast Classic II Baseball Tournament
- March 24-26: Orange Beach Classic I Softball Tournament
- March 28-30: Gulf Coast Classic III Softball Tournament
- March 28-31: Gulf Coast Classic III Baseball Tournament
- March 31 to April 2: Orange Beach Classic II Softball Tournament
- April 9: Flora-Bama’s 24th Annual Mullet Man Triathlon
- April 9-10: Deep South Beach Nationals
- April 14-15: AISA Outdoor Track & Field State Championship
- April 16: Zydeco & Crawfish Festival and 5K Run/Walk
- April 28-30: 13th Annual Bama Coast Cruisin’
- May 4-9: USAV Para Beach Volleyball
- May 5-7: AHSAA State Track Championship (4-7A)
- May 5-8: NCAA Beach Volleyball Championship
- May 6-8: Gulf Coast Region “Beachfest” – National Beach Tour Qualifier
- May 11-14: AHSAA Regional Softball Championship
- May 13-14: Hurricane Taekwondo Championships
- May 23-29: Gulf Coast Master – Sport Fishing Championship Series
- May 25-27: NAIA Men’s & Women’s Outdoor Track & Field National Championship
For information on upcoming athletic events along Alabama’s Gulf Coast, visit GSOBsports.com, or call 1-800-745-SAND.
About Gulf Shores | Orange Beach Sports & Events:
Gulf Shores | Orange Beach Sports & Events is a partnership among Gulf Shores & Orange Beach Tourism (GSOBT), the Coastal Alabama Business Chamber, Gulf State Park and the cities of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach. In 2007, the organization became a department within GSOBT. In this role, the GSOB Sports & Events – along with assistance from both cities – works to bring quality athletic and leisure events to Alabama’s Gulf Coast. To learn more about sports and events along Alabama’s 32 miles of white-sand beaches, please visit GSOBsports.com.