Snohomish County Sports Commission is delighted to see the return of sports events in 2021. The return of sports tourism provides an optimistic outlook for 2022.
Snohomish County hosted 110 sports events which generated $14.3 million in visitor direct spending and generated approximately 11,900 room nights. The success of having sports events return has been a great win for the economic recovery and quality of life in Snohomish County. These 110 sports events brought close to 75,000 people to Snohomish County.
Snohomish County Sports Commission worked with many local sports organizations to help bring back their annual tournaments. The annual sports tournaments which returned were Harvey Cup Boys Lacrosse, Ice Fest Skating Competition, NSA of Washington Fastpitch tournaments, Snohomish Bigfoot Soccer Tournament, Cascade Cup Girls Lacrosse, and Spartan Race Trifecta, to name a few of the events.
The Sports Commission had success in bringing new sports events to the county. New sports tournaments recruited to Snohomish County were USTA PNW Adult 55 & Over Section Championship, USTA PNW Mixed 18 & Over Section Championship, US Club Soccer Northwest Cup Regional, USA Archery Field Nationals, Monroe Criterium, Spikeball National Tour and USA Gymnastics XCEL Gold/Platinum/Diamond State Championship.
In addition to sports events returning, the growth of cornhole, pickleball and disc golf in Snohomish County is tremendous. Cornhole leagues and local tournaments are held weekly and monthly. Pickleball may become the State of Washington sport. Disc Golf tournaments saw record number participation and continue success at Kayak Point Disc Golf Resort, a former golf course turned into a disc golf course in Stanwood, Washington.
The future of sports events in 2022 is looking “bright”. The following sports events are slated for 2022.
- Lake Stevens Rowing Regatta, North Cove Park, Lake Stevens, April 23-24
- Washington State Wrestling Association Freestyle & Greco Roman State Championship, Gary D. Weikel Event Center, Monroe, May 7-8
- Spikeball National Tour, May 14-15
- Harvey Cup Boys Lacrosse, Harvey Fields, Snohomish, June 3-5
- Ice Fest Skating Competition, Olympic View Arena, Mountlake Terrace, June 2-5
- ACL Pro Shootout & Open Series, Angel Of The Winds Arena, June 24-26
- US Club Soccer Northwest Cup Regional, Stocker Fields, June 24-27
- TriMonroe Triathlon, Lake Tye Triathlon, Monroe, July 16
- Kayak Point Open Disc Golf Tournament, Kayak Point Disc Golf Resort, July 16-17
- US Trail Running Conference, Rosehill Community Center, October 19-22
“The rebound in sports events in 2021 showcases Snohomish County as a premier sports destination” states Tammy Dunn, Snohomish County Sports Commission Executive Director. “Our partnerships with the local sports organizations, community and venues provided an opportunity for us to host sports events again. We are excited about the number of sports events that are lined up for 2022.”
About Snohomish County Sports Commission
The Snohomish County Sports Commission works to enhance Snohomish County’s economy, image as a premier sports destination and way of life for its residents by attracting regional, national, and international sporting events to the county. For more information, visit www.snocosports.org.