South Dakota’s largest city is a mecca for sports events from youth to collegiate and semi-professional. As a mid-size market, conveniently located in the Midwest, Sioux Falls offers premier indoor and outdoor sports venues that offer easy access to lodging, dining, retail and unique fan experiences.
Driving or flying is easy for teams, families and friends through the state’s largest airport or along two major interstates, I-29 and I-90.
The community and surrounding area have become known and recognized for hosting drawing passionate fans that fill the seats. Exuberant atmospheres combined with accessibility, hospitality and event requirements at affordable costs make Sioux Falls a natural choice for hosting sports events of all types and sizes.
The Denny Sanford PREMIER Center offers 132,000 square feet of combined multipurpose space with the attached convention center and 7,000-seat arena. Seating for the PREMIER Center is 10,600 for basketball, 10,600 for hockey and 5,750 for rodeo. The Convention Center and arena offer ample event space, practice space or trade show spaces. Column-free exhibit space, ballroom space and breakout rooms offer flexibility with the latest onsite services, amenities and catering.
There is also a full-service hotel attached offering 243 rooms connected by a climate-controlled walkway with additional meeting space. The Denny Sanford PREMIER Center Complex also includes venues for baseball, soccer, track and field and football. Sioux Falls Stadium is home to the Sioux Falls Canaries, a member of the North Division of the American Association of Independent Professional Baseball.
Notable events hosted at the PREMIER Center include The Summit League Basketball Championships, Professional Bull Riders, NCAA DI Women’s Basketball Midwest Regional and NCAA DI Men’s Hockey Regional Championships. Just a short drive away is the Sanford Sports Complex, encompassing 500 acres, where youth, collegiate and professional athletes showcase their skills and gain elite training at this one-of-a-kind sports destination.
The cornerstone of the complex is the Sanford Pentagon with seating for 3,250 and the ability to host nine basketball or volleyball games at one time. Notable events hosted by the Sanford Pentagon include NCAA DI Women’s Basketball, NCAA DI Men’s Basketball, NCAA DII Men’s and Women’s Basketball Elite 8, NAIA DII Men’s Basketball National Championships and AAU Grand Prix Volleyball. The NBA G-League Sioux Falls Skyforce, is a tenant of the venue and affiliate of the Miami Heat.
The Sanford Sports Complex also includes venues for hockey, football, gymnastics, volleyball and training.
- Sanford Fieldhouse: 85,000 square-foot elite training facility
- Scheels IcePlex: Three full-size NHL-regulation sheets of ice
- Huether Family Match Pointe: Six championship tennis courts and a four-court tennis/pickleball expansion
- South Dakota Junior Football Park: Nine lighted fields on 60 acres
- Power and Grace Gymnastics: 16,000 square foot gymnastics training
- A $50 million, 173-acre expansion opened in 2023 and includes 18 new outdoor turf fields for baseball, softball and soccer.
- Sanford Crossing: Eight synthetic turf multi-purpose soccer, lacrosse and football fields
- Sanford Diamonds: Five FieldTurf softball and baseball fields
There are two on-site hotels totaling 168 rooms and Blue Rock Bar & Grill full-service bar and restaurant, as well as Great Shots golf entertainment and training.
Throughout Sioux Falls there are a number of additional premier sports locations:
- The Linda Erickson Pickleball Complex opened in 2023, offering 12 regulation-sized courts, as well as a large parking lot and public restrooms. It is the largest dedicated pickleball complex in South Dakota.
- The Midco Aquatic Center 50-meter Olympic size pool with a variety of diving boards, 25-yard and 50-meter lanes.
- Two DII NCAA universities, Augustana College and University of Sioux Falls, showcasing elite college sports programs year-round.
- Eight public and private courses.
A regionally known parks system rounds out the multitude of sport venues hosting notable events with U.S. Youth Soccer, USA Girl’s Fastpitch Softball, Nike Cross Regionals and NSIC DII Softball.
- Harmodon Park: Seven lighted baseball and eight lighted softball fields
- Sherman Park: Nine agri-lime lighted softball fields
- Tomar Park: 12 tennis courts and a nine-hole disc golf course
- Yankton Trail Park: 21 soccer fields, six lighted fields
Check out all the reasons Sioux Falls is a premier host city at experiencesiouxfalls.com/sports.