Endeavor Games Ready to Begin in Oklahoma
6 Jun, 2018
The annual Turnstone Endeavor Games is the first competitive weekend in the Endeavor Games Series which culminates at the 19th Annual University of Central Oklahoma (UCO) Endeavor Games held June 7-10. The UCO Endeavor Games will feature 10 sports, including archery, air rifle shooting, cycling, powerlifting, 4-on-4 sitting volleyball, swimming, table tennis, track and field, 3-on-3 wheelchair basketball and wheelchair softball.
The Endeavor Games Series is supported by national partners Turnstone Center, University of Central Oklahoma, U.S. Paralympics, Disabled Sports USA, and Hanger Clinic. The Turnstone Endeavor Games is supported by local partners Visit Fort Wayne and Touchstone Energy Cooperatives—Your Local REMC.
The 2nd Annual Turnstone Endeavor Games recently concluded in Fort Wayne, IN after welcoming 150 athletes and coaches from 17 states. Many of the athletes broke national records and qualified for national tournaments later this year through their successful performances during the Turnstone Endeavor Games events.
Athletes ages 8-69 gathered at four locations throughout Fort Wayne to compete in nine sports disciplines including: air rifle shooting, boccia, goalball, power soccer, sitting volleyball, swimming, track and field, and wheelchair basketball. The athletic intensity, accomplishment, and excitement was palpable among participants, spectators, and the 160 volunteers who supported the games throughout the weekend of the competition.
New National Record Holders include:
- Jay Denning, Nashville, TN, U16 category, seated javelin, 10.19 yards
- Christina Gardner, Lewiston, ME, M35 category, seated discus, 21.17 yards
- Christina Gardner, Lewiston, ME, M35 category, seated shot put, 8.39 yards
- Reid Hester, Louisville, KY, U11 category, standing javelin, 12.89 yards
- Lloyd Howard Jr, Homestead, FL, M35 category, standing javelin, 21.98 yards
- Caytlin Lucas, Edgerton, OH, U14 category, seated shot put, 3.57 yards (Turnstone athlete)
- Randy McMullen, Kent, OH, U23 category, seated discus, 30.12 yards
- Magnolia Peters, Fort Wayne, IN, U16 category, standing shot put, 5.57 yards (Turnstone athlete)
- Zoe Redington, Franklin, TN, U18 category, standing shot put, 2.72 yards
For more information about the Turnstone Endeavor Games, the Endeavor Games Series, and results from the 2018 games, visit www.endeavorgames.com/fortwayne.
About Turnstone: Now in its 75th year of service, Turnstone’s mission is to empower people with disabilities to achieve their highest potential by providing the one of the most comprehensive offerings of services and programs to people with disabilities and their families under one roof in the United States. Thanks to generous support and compassionate staff, Turnstone’s legacy of advocacy and innovation continues to contribute to a world that accepts and values people based on their abilities.