Champion Park Ready to Open Doors
23 Jan, 2015
South Texas’ First Artificial Turf Baseball & Softball Complex Offers Sneak Peek Of State-of-the-Art Field Renovations
Champion Park in Corpus Christi, Texas, is hosting an open house from noon-6 p.m. on January 23. The facility is inviting the business community, local civic leaders, coaches, youth sports organizations, media and select VIPs.
Invitees will have the opportunity to meet ownership, preview and tour Champion Park and experience firsthand Corpus Christi’s first four artificial turf baseball & softball complex. Co-Owner Mike Gonzalez, a Robstown native and 10 year MLB veteran, will be joined at the open house by All-Star, Gold Glove Center Fielder Carlos Gomez of the Milwaukee Brewers.
Champion Park is also the home of S3 Baseball & Softball Academy and G51 Sports. At 4:30 players from S3 and G51 will be on the field hitting, throwing and taking infield with Mike, Carlos and other coaches.
5 PM Press Conference: Champion Park will announce its anticipated grand opening date as well as adult and youth leagues, tournaments and other scheduled events. Press Conference will include introduction of owners, management, sponsors and Champion Park’s vision: At Champion Park our goal is to create an environment of excellence, offering opportunities for people of all ages and ability to connect, inspire and encourage one another to become Champions. We believe Champions achieve excellence through commitment to team, community service and faith. Champion Park, S3 and G51 are focused on bringing their vision to reality.
About Champion Park:
- 15 acre facility sitting less than a quarter mile from Hwy 286 freeway frontage on Saratoga at corner of Greenwood. Champion Park is 6.6 miles from La Palmera Mall with direct access and visibility from freeway.
- Champion Park will be the only multi-field complex with artificial turf capable of accommodating baseball and softball of all ages within 200 miles.
- Four Artificial Turf infields (100,000 sq. ft.) that are easily converted from a 5-6 year old T-ball Game to a High School game in a matter of minutes. Artificial turf infields and natural grass outfields installed by Hellas Construction, Inc. Infields are designed to drain up to 20 inches of rain per hour. The outfields will be seeded with a custom blend of Bermuda and Rye grass and fed by newly installed 100% coverage irrigation system.
- Hellas Construction is a specialty sports contractor whose past projects include turf installation at AT&T Stadium (Dallas Cowboys) Baylor University, University of California, Berkeley, Idaho State University, the Alamodome, Northern Arizona University, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, University of San Diego, University of Georgia and various other prominent high schools, collegiate institutions and stadiums.
- New Sports Lighting installed by KJM Construction & Tech Line Sports Lighting
- 10,000 sq.ft. shade structures for players, coaches, scouts and fans including a 3,000 sq.ft pavilion located in the center of the facility providing views of all four fields.
- Portable & Adjustable Fencing
- Champion Park will have the highest quality portable fencing to ensure an enjoyable playing experience with accurate field dimensions for all ages.
- Completely remodeled and updated restrooms with air conditioning.
- Completely updated, re-sealed, re-striped and lighted parking lot.
- Portable pitching mounds to ensure a safe and age appropriate pitching surface.
- Covered Batting Cages for Pregame Warm Up and Training.
- Food Trucks offering a variety of game day fare.
- State of the art concession stand and VIP observation deck built by boxLIFE. Built from repurposed shipping containers, the sleek, modern design transforms into the ultimate outdoor venue. The 20’ x 8’ top turf deck will allow scouts to observe from behind home plate. BoxLIFE is a Texas based designer and builder of sustainable, modern, and efficient event environments made from recycled shipping containers. Corpus Christi resident and former Islander basketball coach, Sheryl Estes, is the co-founder and owner. www.boxLIFEusa.com
- Annual attendance is projected to exceed 400,000
- Monday through Friday: Adult & Youth Leagues sanctioned USSSA beginning February 23rd. (Every 7 weeks new league season begins)
- Weekends: 30+ tournaments scheduled. Includes at least one tournament per month of baseball, girls fast pitch and adult slow pitch.
- Special Events: Showcases, camps, home run derby.
- Over $5 million in Projected Annual Economic Impact:
- The Corpus Christi Convention and Visitors Bureau calculates a $340,448 total economic impact ($197,297 direct impact) for JUST ONE weekend tournament based on:
- 24 teams with 15 players per team.
- 75% of teams from out of town.
- 2 Day tournament/2 Nights stay
These impacts take into account lodging, food and beverage, retail, recreation, transportation and business services.