Wichita to Host International Volleyball
18 Nov, 2019
The U.S. Women’s National Team has one domestic tournament prior to heading to the 2020 Olympic Games. As the only host in the United States, Wichita, Kansas will be front-and-center on Team USA’s journey to Tokyo.
The U.S. Women will host Japan, Turkey and Belgium during their FIVB Volleyball Nations League domestic preliminary round matches held June 9-11. The four-team round-robin match format will take place at Charles Koch Arena on the Wichita State University campus. Tickets are currently on sale at www.goshockers.com.
“Next year’s FIVB Volleyball Nations League Week 4 will be a huge one,” U.S. Women’s National Team Head Coach Karch Kiraly said. “We will be approaching it as one of our last chances to prepare for the Tokyo Olympics. It will be one of the rare opportunities for Americans to cheer on their Olympic women’s volleyball representatives live and in-person, so we’re looking forward to an amazing atmosphere in Wichita.”
Match Schedule (All Times Central)
- June 9: Japan vs. Turkey, 4 p.m.; USA vs. Belgium, 7:30 p.m.
- June 10: Turkey vs. Belgium, 4 p.m.; USA vs. Japan, 7:30 p.m.
- June 11: Japan vs. Belgium, 4 p.m.; USA vs. Turkey, 7:30 p.m.
“This is an amazing opportunity for Wichita – both in exposure for the city and incredible entertainment for locals – and we’re beyond thrilled that Wichitans will have the chance to see the U.S. Women’s National Team compete at Charles Koch Arena before they head to the Olympics in Japan,” said Brian Hargrove, executive director of sports development for Visit Wichita. “Big things are happening when it comes to sporting events in Wichita, and this is yet another way for sports fans in this city to be a part of a tremendous and unique competition.”
The VNL, the premier annual international tournament, is a 16-country league comprised of 12 core teams and four challenger teams who compete in a round-robin format over the course of five weeks. Each country plays 15 pool play matches with each core country hosting at least one round-robin pool of four teams. The top five countries through the 15-match schedule joins host China for the VNL Finals July 1-5.
The U.S. Women have claimed consecutive Volleyball Nations League titles and the $1 million top prize that goes to the winner since the tournament’s inaugural edition in 2018. The VNL is the premier annual international women’s volleyball tournament.
Team USA is ranked second in the world, while Japan is ranked No. 7, Turkey is No. 12 and Belgium is No. 19. The U.S. and Japan have already secured their spots into the 2020 Olympic Games. Turkey and Belgium will have a final chance to qualify for the 2020 Olympic Games at CEV Tokyo Volleyball European Qualification Tournament held Jan. 5-12 in Netherlands. The winner of the eight-team field advances to the Olympics.
2020 FIVB Volleyball Nations League Schedule:
- (in Brazil): Brazil, USA, Canada, Dominican Republic
- (in Netherlands): Netherlands, Germany, Russia, Belgium
- (in Italy): Italy, Serbia, Turkey, Poland
- (in China): China, Japan, Korea, Thailand
- (in Belgium): Belgium, Korea, Poland, Dominican Republic
- (in China): China, Germany, Turkey, Canada
- (in Brazil): Brazil, Italy, Japan, Russia
- (in Serbia): Serbia, Netherlands, Thailand, USA
- (in Canada): Canada, Netherlands, Japan, Poland
- (in Turkey): Turkey, Thailand, Russia, Dominican Republic
- (in China): China, Brazil, Serbia, Belgium
- (in Germany): Germany, Italy, Korea, USA
- (in Wichita, Kansas): USA, Turkey, Japan, Belgium
- (in Russia): Russia, Korea, Serbia, Canada
- (in Poland): Poland, Germany, Thailand, Brazil
- (in China): China, Italy, Netherlands, Dominican Republic
- (in Thailand): Thailand, Italy, Belgium, Canada
- (in Korea): Korea, Brazil, Netherlands, Turkey
- (in China): China, Russia, USA, Poland
- (in Japan): Japan, Germany, Serbia, Dominican Republic
Additional sporting events Visit Wichita is hosting in 2020 includes, but is not limited to:
- January 15-19: US Figure Skating Midwestern & Pacific Coast Synchronized Skating Sectionals
- January 20-22: ECHL All Star Game
- March 4-7: NAIA Men’s Wrestling National Championship
- June 26-30: US Figure Skating National Theatre on Ice
- July 2020: The Basketball Tournament (TBT)
- July 21-26: NCAA College Basketball Academy
About Visit Wichita - Visit Wichita markets the greater Wichita area as a major convention and tourism destination, thereby enhancing the economic development of the city, county, region and state. Visit Wichita is led by president and CEO Susie Santo, and in 2018 travel and tourism contributed more than $1.1 billion in economic impact to the greater Wichita area.