USA Table Tennis Announces 2020 Hopes Tour
7 Feb, 2020
The International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF)/USA Table Tennis (USATT) Hopes Program is a series of regional, national and international camps and competitions designed to spark motivation and interest for skilled and talented young table tennis athletes who have a love for table tennis and who wish to become high-level table tennis players.
2020 USA Hopes Tour Prospectus
The USATT Hopes Program- Road to LA is a series of activities at regional, national and international level featuring education, training camps, competition and, talent identification, designed to spark motivation and interest for aspiring young table tennis athletes born on or after January 1, 2008 who have a love for table tennis and who wish to become high-level table tennis players. The Hopes Program caters to kids born on or after January 1, 2008.
The Hopes Program-Road to LA is part of a High-Performance pathway that offers training and developmental opportunities for the youth players and their coaches.
In order to participate and qualify for USATT hope team a player must be:
- Born on or after January 1, 2008*
- U.S. citizen and member of USATT in good standing
* Older kids under the age of 15 can participate in the Hopes training camp, subject to space availability, but they cannot play in the Hopes tournament. However, priority will be given to those born on or after January 1, 2008.
The main purpose of the USATT Hopes Program-Road to LA is to help the development of young players in the U.S., for them to find out what they are capable of, and to prepare them for the next phase of their development journey.
To maximize our youth players’ participation, training, education and competition while creating a positive environment and experience through the sport of table tennis that could last for a lifetime.
From USATT perspective, the main goals & expectations of the Hopes Program for 2020 are:
- To strength USATT’s working relationships with Clubs
- Talent ID of our youth table tennis players to support the pipeline of developing players to reach Olympic level for Team USA
- Talent ID for local coaches to build a future pipeline of potential development & national youth coaches to support USATT and Team USA needs
- To provide consistent Hopes training camp and tournament nationwide
- To develop and strengthen the relationship with parents and youth players – educational process, while providing a safe environment
- To set up the foundation for USATT Future Hopes program
2020 USATT HOPES PROGRAM - Road to LA – Structure / Timeline / Location / Qualification /Fee
The Hopes program is structured in four (4) Stages. Each stage will award the top 2 male and top 2 female players with qualification for the USA National Hopes Week and Challenge.
Stage I – 2020 USATT Hopes Program- Road to LA- Regional Qualifications
Six (6) Regional location – USATT Hopes Training Camps & Qualifier Tournaments
Visit Omni-Pong to register: https://www.omnipong.com/t-tourney.asp
- February 7-9, 2020 – Lily Yip Table Tennis Center, NJ
- February 14-16, 2020 – Spin & Smash Table Tennis & Ping Pong Center, OH
- February 21-23, 2020 – Houston International Table Tennis Academy, TX
- February 28 - March 1, 2020 – ICC Table Tennis, CA
- March 6-8, 2020 – Westford Table Tennis Club, MA
- March 13-15, 2020 – Maryland TTC, MD
Each event will be 3-days long and will include: up to 2 training sessions per day, and on the last day at the end of each Hopes training camp, there shall be a sanctioned Hopes tournament.
In each training camp, participants will receive expert coaching and training by the hosting club local coach(es) in a fun, educational, rewarding environment in which they will meet, learn, and share experiences. A U.S. Olympian will participate in the camp and share his/her athlete experience with participants.
Each host location will determine the number of participants based on the number of available tables.
Full camp participation is required to enter the Hopes regional qualification tournament
All players wishing to qualify for ITTF Hope Team must participate and qualify through all stages.
- Entry fee - (camp and tournament included) - $125/player/ event.
- Travel, lodging and meal expenses - are the responsibility of parents and/or sponsors.
Entry deadline/Registration: Each event will have a deadline to enter and register that will be
posted on tournament site at: https://www.omnipong.com/t-tourney.asp
- No Refunds will be granted after registration is complete
The qualification system to stage II will be posted shortly.
- Playing format: round-robin first stage with top two advancing from each group to a single-elimination knock out with cross over matches to determine the winner and runner up, also 3rd and 4th place. The playing format could be adjusted/changed if entries are low.
Hopes participants may choose to take part in one or more of the regional Hopes camps & tournaments. This is a national tour and there no geographical boundaries or restrictions for U.S. Hopes eligible participants. However, space may be limited at one or more locations; we recommend registering and entering as early as possible. However, once a player qualifies through a regional qualification tournament to the second stage, he/she cannot compete in any additional 2020 Hopes regional tournaments.
Stage II – 2020 USATT Hopes Program- Road to LA- National Qualifications
1 (one) National – USATT Hopes Week Training Camp & Challenge
- April 22-26, 2020 – Samson Dubina Table Tennis Academy, Akron, OH
This is a 4-day long event and will include: 1 training session on Wednesday (evening), 2 training sessions on Thursday & Friday, and a sanctioned national hopes tournament on Saturday & Sunday (finishing early afternoon). The training camp will be run by a USATT National Team Coach. He will support and run the training camp in collaboration with the local club coach(es).
Full camp participation is required in order to enter the Hopes national qualification tournament
- Entry fee - (camp and tournament included): $325/player.
- Travel lodging and meals expenses- are the responsibility of parents and/or sponsors.
- Entry deadline: to be announced in the event prospectus at: https://www.omnipong.com/t-tourney.asp
Qualification: Event to be announced shortly.
Top 8 boys and 8 girls will qualify to stage III - ITTF North America Hopes Week and Challenge to compete at continental level against Canada
- Playing format: To be determined
Stage III – ITTF North America Hopes Week and Challenge
1 (one) Continental – ITTF Hopes Week Training Camp & Challenge
- Date - May 2020 - Exact date and location TBD
This is the Continental event and it will be a combined join training camp and tournament with Canadian players.
Full camp participation is required in order to enter the Hopes continental qualification tournament
ITTF North America will nominate the expert run the training camp.
- Entry Fee: TBD
- Travel, lodging and meal expenses- are the responsibility of parents and/or sponsors
- Qualification system: the winner of boy’s and girl’s singles will qualify to stage IV the ITTF Hopes week.
Stage IV- ITTF International Hopes Week
1 (one) ITTF World – Hopes Week Training Camp & Challenge
- Date - August 2020- exact date and location TBC
For more info please visit: https://www.ittf.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/2019-Hopes-Directives-2.0.pdf
Find all the information on Hopes Camps and tournaments Schedule and to register go to: https://www.omnipong.com/t-tourney.asp