UCI Announces Sites for 2021-2026 Championships
10 Dec, 2020
Other World Championship Sites Still Up for Bid
Meeting on 24 and 25 September in Italy during the 2020 UCI Road World Championships in Imola – Emilia-Romagna (24-27 September), the Management Committee of the Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) awarded numerous UCI World Championships for the 2021-2026 period.
The organization also noted that it has taken important decisions in areas such as support for those involved in road cycling during the Covid-19 pandemic and safety.
The UCI Management Committee awarded the following 11 UCI World Championships (in a total of eight countries and for five disciplines):
- 2021 UCI Masters Mountain Bike Marathon World Championships: Il Ciocco (Italy)
- 2022 and 2023 UCI Masters Mountain Bike World Championships: Villa La Angostura (Argentina)
- 2023 UCI Junior Track Cycling World Championships: Cali (Colombia) (award subject to agreement with the Colombian National Federation regarding certain essential elements)
- 2024 UCI Mountain Bike Marathon World Championships: Snowshoe (United States)
- 2024 UCI Gran Fondo World Championships: Aalborg (Denmark)
- 2025 UCI Mountain Bike World Championships: Wallis canton (Switzerland)
- 2025 UCI BMX World Championships: Copenhagen (Denmark)
- 2025 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships: Liévin (France)
- 2025 UCI Gran Fondo World Championships: Melbourne (Australia)
- 2026 UCI Mountain Bike World Championships: Val di Sole (Italy)
The UCI notes that due to the Covid-19 pandemic some of the UCI World Championships which should have been awarded these last two days will now be awarded at the Management Committee’s September 2021 meeting. This is in order to enable potential organizers of the concerned events to finalize their bid files in the best possible conditions.
Potential candidates must return their completed bid files by 1st December 2020 at the latest.
Among these events are the 2025 UCI Road World Championships which will take place, for the first time in their history, on the African continent, as well as the 2027 UCI Cycling World Championships which, after their inaugural edition in 2023 in Glasgow and Scotland, will also bring together the UCI Worlds for all cycling’s disciplines over a period of around 10 days.
List of UCI World Championships which will be awarded in September 2021:
- 2022 UCI Para-cycling Track World Championships
- 2022 and 2024 UCI Indoor Cycling World Championships
- 2023 and 2024 UCI Masters Track Cycling World Championships
- 2023 and 2024 UCI Masters Cyclo-cross World Championships
- 2024 UCI Junior Track Cycling World Championships
- 2024 and 2025 UCI Masters Mountain Bike World Championships
- 2024, 2025 and 2026 UCI Urban Cycling World Championships
- 2025 UCI Mountain Bike Marathon World Championships
- 2025 Para-cycling Road World Championships
- 2025 and 2026 UCI Road World Championships
- 2025 and 2026 UCI Track Cycling World Championships
- 2026 UCI Gran Fondo World Championships
- 2026 UCI BMX World Championships
- 2026 and 2027 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships
- 2027 UCI Cycling World Championships.
The bidding documents for all events can be found online.
The UCI is pleased that despite the difficult situation, it has been able to finalize the 2021 UCI International Calendars for numerous disciplines and find solutions that consider the postponement of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games to 2021.
The staging of the events in question will nevertheless depend on the development of the health situation in the regions concerned. The following UCI Calendars have been approved and subsequently published on the UCI website:
- 2021 UCI Road International Calendar
- 2021 UCI Para-cycling Road International Calendar
- 2021 UCI Mountain Bike International Calendar (including UCI World Cup)
- 2021 Mountain Bike Eliminator Calendar (UCI World Cup and UCI World Championships)
- 2021 UCI Cross Country E-Mountain Bike World Cup Calendar
- 2021 UCI BMX Racing International Calendar (including the UCI World Cup)
- 2021 BMX Freestyle International Calendar
- 2021 UCI Trials International Calendar
- 2021 UCI Indoor Cycling International Calendar
- 2021 UCI Cycling for all International Calendar (to be published shortly)
- 2021 UCI Gran Fondo International Calendar (to be published shortly)
In a context where more and more cyclo-cross specialists are also shining at the biggest road events in the world, the UCI has decided to modify the article defining the participation rules for road races (art. 2.1.005) to enable new UCI Cyclo-cross Professional Teams to take part in road events according to the same participation model as that for UCI Continental Teams and UCI Women’s Continental Teams.
In the area of safety and to reinforce this in the race convoy, the UCI Management Committee decided to extend to all events on the UCI International Road Calendar, the obligation for drivers in the race convoy to participate in a drivers’ briefing. Until now this obligation has been limited mainly to drivers of media and at UCI WorldTour events.