2013 Visitor Impact Shows Big Win for Guilford County
25 Aug, 2014
Spending by Domestic Visitors Increases by 4.1% to $1,206.74 Billion
The North Carolina Division of Tourism, Film and Sports Development announced that domestic visitors to and within Guilford County spent $1,206.74 billion in 2013, an increase of 4.1% from 2012.
"Guilford County continues to rank third in the state in travel and tourism expenditures, with $1,206.74 billion generated in 2013." said Henri Fourrier, President of the Greensboro Area Convention & Visitors Bureau. "Travel-related jobs employ a broad and diverse group including airline and hotel employees, restaurants and attractions and here in Guilford County we employ nearly 12,450 people."
Tourism impact highlights for 2013:
- The travel and tourism industry directly employees more than 12,450 in Guilford County.
- Total payroll generated by the tourism industry in Guilford County was $289.97 million.
- State tax revenue generated in Guilford County totaled $61.20 million through state sales and excise taxes, and taxes on personal and corporate income. Approximately $26.77 million in local taxes were generated from sales and property tax revenue from travel-generated and travel-supported businesses.
- Gov. Pat McCrory announced in May that visitors to North Carolina spent a record $20.2 billion in 2013, an increase of 4.1 percent from 2013.
These statistics are from the "2013 Economic Impact of Travel on North Carolina Counties." The study was prepared for the North Carolina Division of Tourism, Film and Sports Development by the U.S. Travel Association.
Statewide highlights include:
- State tax receipts as a result of visitor spending passed the $1 billion mark in 2013. The figure represents 4 percent in growth over 2012's $970 million.
- Visitors spend more than $55 million per day in North Carolina. That spending adds more than $4.4 million per day to state and local tax revenues (about $2.8 million in state taxes and $1.6 million in local taxes).
- The travel and tourism industry directly employees nearly 200,000 North Carolinians.