Montgomery, Alabama leads all other Alabama metro cities in the state with the most positive hotel occupancy growth and room demand in 2013 over 2012, according to a recent independent report by Smith Travel Research. The Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce Convention & Visitor Bureau (MCVB) has played an integral role in booking meetings, events, sporting events and leisure tourists which have driven this year over year growth. Additionally, Montgomery has developed a diverse client base that serves multiple markets including business, government, multi-cultural, student, sports and leisure travelers.
Some additional numbers from the report include:
- Hotel occupancy in Montgomery grew by 4.9%, demand grew by 8.1% and supply grew by 3.1%.
- Room nights contracted by MCVB in 2013 increased by 33% over the previous year and had an economic impact of over $15 million within the City and County.
- Lodgings tax collections grew 6% in 2013 over 2012.
- MCVB’s servicing department served 201 groups indicating a 26% increase over 2012.
- Inquiries to MCVB for information via phone, web site and email rose 92% over 2012.
- MCVB is currently working to book over 160 future meetings, events and sports events representing a possible 105,000 room nights and $28 million in economic impact.
Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce Chairman Leslie Sanders attributes this success to innovative leadership and a hard-working team: “The Montgomery City Council, County Commission and Mayor Todd Strange have worked together with the tourism industry leaders in Montgomery to create a destination that is highly competitive for all types of meetings and events. Together, we were able to attract new hotel properties, improve and create new meeting and event space and send a team of skilled and enthusiastic sales and marketing professionals into the market to bring travelers into Montgomery to experience this increasingly vibrant city.”
About Montgomery, “A Cool Capital City on the Move:” Centrally located along the Alabama River in the heart of the Southeast, Montgomery is steeped in the history of world-changing events and is in the midst of another change – a complete reemergence. From a revitalized downtown to an array of new museums, restaurants, attractions and accommodations, the riverfront capital city is quickly becoming one of the newest must-see travel destinations in the South. Learn more about all that Montgomery has to offer at visitingmontgomery.com.