The National High School Rodeo Association (NHSRA) has announced that the National Junior High Finals Rodeo Championships will be in Des Moines for the first time ever, June 22-28, at the Iowa State Fairgrounds.
About the National Junior High Finals Rodeo Championships
The Championships in Des Moines will include:
- 13 rodeo performances, with 7 p.m. CT performances June 22-28 and 9 a.m. CT performances June 23-28
- 1,100 Junior High contestants, ages 15 and under (More than 20 Iowa contestants will compete at the Championships)
- 42 states, 5 Canadian provinces and Australia represented by the Junior High contestants
- 50,000 expected spectators; an increase from 35,000 in 2013 due to central location
- $5.3 million in expected economic impact
- 11 different rodeo events, from barrel racing and bull riding to goat tying and chute dogging
This is the first year the Championships will be held outside of Gallup, New Mexico, since the Junior High division’s inception in 2005
For more information and to purchase tickets online, go to www.catchdesmoines.com/rodeo
The Greater Des Moines Convention and Visitors Bureau is a not-for-profit organization whose mission is to promote Greater Des Moines as a fun, vibrant and affordable destination statewide, nationally and internationally. Our focus increases visitors to our community through meetings, conventions, sports events, leisure travel, and group tours, thereby contributing to the local economy.