The organizers of the Credit Union Cherry Blossom 10 Mile and 5K Run-Walk are partnering with the National Cherry Blossom Festival to present the Credit Union Cherry Blossom Virtual Run presented by Medstar as a new highlight of the monthlong National Cherry Blossom Festival in our Nation’s Capital. Throughout the entire 29 day span of the Festival — March 20 through April 17 — Festival participants and cherry blossom lovers across the country are encouraged to enjoy the arboreal beauty of the trees and celebrate springtime while running or walking 10 miles or 5K in their communities.
Event Director Phil Stewart said: “The ongoing boom in virtual runs has greatly expanded the opportunity for runners eager to celebrate and experience DC’s iconic cherry trees in peak bloom, on whatever day that may be. Plus, unlike the in-person Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile and 5K scheduled for April 3 on the Washington Monument Grounds, there’s no lottery to enter the Credit Union Cherry Blossom Virtual Run, nor is there a set date or place for the run. This means runners — and their dogs — can choose their own prime-time for their run; anytime, anyplace between March 20 and April 17, 2022.”
The entry fee for the Credit Union Cherry Blossom Virtual Run is $40 and all registrants receive a Virtual Run t-shirt and a medal, which will be mailed to them by June 1. Registration remains open through April 10 and can be accessed here.
Here are some unique features of the 3rd annual Credit Union Cherry Blossom Virtual Run:
· Everyone can do it. The Virtual Run is open to everyone. Dogs, too. There are no entry limits and no time limits.
· It can be run anywhere. Of course, runners are encouraged to do their virtual run in and around our Nation’s Capital during this year’s National Cherry Blossom Festival. But runners who must run elsewhere are welcome to do so. In conjunction with the National Cherry Blossom Festival, virtual run organizers will provide a map showing prime cherry blossom viewing areas in the Washington, DC Metropolitan area.
· It’s all about the pictures. The Credit Union Cherry Blossom Virtual Run will conduct a number of photo contests over the course of the race period. Participants will be encouraged to share photos of springtime blooms along their favorite course, or photos of their running group. There will even be a contest for favorite furry friends and training partners.
· Results will be posted. Those who wish to see how they stack up with other Virtual Run participants can upload their performances into our Virtual Run results platform. Registrants can set up teams in a special team competition division. Special recognition is given to both the fast and largest teams.
· All the necessary details are available here.
Both the virtual and in-person editions of the Credit Union Cherry Blossom 10 Mile and 5K serve as vital fundraising opportunities for Children’s Miracle Network — our official charity partner.
The 2022 Credit Union Cherry Blossom Runs mark the 21st year of title sponsorship by Credit Union Miracle Day, and the 49th running of the race overall. Since 2002, over $10 million has been raised for the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, with $619,000 raised through the 2020 and 2021 virtual runs and the 2021 in person runs.
The Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile, organized by Cherry Blossom, Inc., a 501c(3) chapter of the Road Runners Club of America, is known as “The Runner’s Rite of Spring®” in the Nation’s Capital. The staging area for the event is on the Washington Monument Grounds and the course passes in sight of all of the major Washington, DC Memorials. The event serves as a fundraiser for the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, a consortium of 170 premier children’s hospitals across North America. About one-third of the funds raised support Washington, DC’s own Children’s National (“Children’s Hospital”). The event also funds the Road Runners Club of America’s “Roads Scholar” program designed to support up-and-coming U.S. distance running talent.
Credit Union Miracle Day, Inc., a consortium of credit unions and credit union suppliers, is the title sponsor of the Credit Union Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run, 5K Run-Walk and Kids’ Run. Presenting sponsors include ASICS, Discovery, Garmin, MedStar Health and Wegmans; supporting sponsors include CO-OP Financial Service, CUNA Mutual Group, PSCU, Potomac River Running, Gatorade Endurance, Suburban Solutions and UPS.
The event is a proud member of the PRRO Circuit (PRRO.org), a series of major non-marathon prize money road races in Washington, DC; Spokane, WA; and Utica, NY. The circuit is committed to a drug-free sport and funds drug testing at all circuit events in compliance with the standards of international and U.S. drug testing authorities.
In addition to being sanctioned by USA Track & Field and the Road Runners Club of America, the Credit Union Cherry Blossom Run has earned Gold Level Inspire Certification from the Council for Responsible Sport in recognition of its legacy of commitment to sustainability and thoughtful resource management.
To learn more, visit www.cherryblossom.org and follow the event on social media @CUCB and #CUCB2022.
There are no comments
Please login to post comments