50th Anniversary colors are typically gold, but Credit Union Cherry Blossom (CUCB) organizers today announced a shift from their traditional colors of pastel pink and blue to a more modern bright pink and deep navy palette. They also introduced separate logos for the four events that comprise CUCB — 10 Mile, 5K, Kids Run and Virtual Run — on the event’s website, Facebook, Twitter (@CUCB), Instagram (CUCB) and TikTok (CUCBinDC) social media platforms.
Event Director Phil Stewart had this to say about the new branding: “While participating in this event has meant many things to our runners, volunteers, families and friends over the first half century of Cherry Blossom’s existence, we felt that the simplest and most universal distillation of what we have called “The Runner’s Rite of Spring” since the earliest days would be a single cherry blossom. It represents what people take away and hold in their hearts.”
Walla Design founder Kevin Fenton added: “The Credit Union Cherry Blossom is one of the most well-known running events in Washington, DC. For Cherry Blossom’s 50th Anniversary, we set out to create a new brand identity that truly reflects the collective values of the DC, Maryland and Virginia running community, and the dedicated volunteers that produce this annual event. The new logo features an expressive four-pronged cherry blossom that represents each of the four events that make up the Credit Union Cherry Blossom event. The abstracted blossom shape is designed with a spirited expression of excitement and energy in mind.”
Upcoming milestones for the 50th Annual Credit Union Cherry Blossom include:
- 10 Mile lottery opens on Thursday, December 1, 2022, and closes at 11:59 pm on December 15; lottery results will be posted by December 19.
- First come, first served registration for the 5K will open on Tuesday, December 20, and will continue until the 5K fills up — or February 28, 2023 — whichever comes first.
- Registration for the Kids Run will open on Tuesday, January 2, 2023.
- Virtual Run registration for the 10 Mile and 5K, which will take place during the National Cherry Blossom Festival, March 20 — April 16, 2023, will also open on January 2, 2023.
- The 5K and Kids Run will take place on Saturday, April 1, 2023; the 10 Mile will be held on Sunday, April 2.
The 10 Mile will serve as the 2023 Road Runners Club of America 10 Mile National Championship and the 2022-23 PRRO Circuit Championship.
Thanks to Credit Union Miracle Day’s title sponsorship since 2002, Credit Union Cherry Blossom has raised over $10.2 million for the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, including $323,000 in 2022.