Rocky Mountain State Games to Include Goalball Camp, Tournament
2 Jun, 2014
Goalball Camp to be Offered July 15-20, 2014
In Partnership with U.S. Paralympics, The United States Association of Blind Athletes (USABA) is pleased to announce that we will be hosting a goalball training camp and tournament as part of the Rocky Mountain State Games for beginner and intermediate players in Colorado Springs, CO from July 15-20, 2014. The focus of this camp is active duty military and veterans who have experienced vision loss, but all blind or VI athletes are eligible to apply to learn more about the game or sharpen their skills. Participants will get the chance to train with instruction from US National team players and coaches. Anyone who has experience with Goalball up to the intermediate level is encouraged to apply.
- Camp Dates: July 15-20, 2014 (Including Travel days)
- Location: Olympic Training Center, Colorado Springs, CO.
- Non-military athletes will be responsible for making their own travel arrangements with arrivals on July 15 and departures on July 20 into Colorado Springs (COS)
- Application Deadline: June 17, 2014
Camp Fee for non-military veterans: $250 covers
- Room and board at the Olympic Training Center
- Sports med support
- Transportation to and from the airport and throughout the week
- Tournament entry fee
Athletes at the camp will learn:
- Basic goalball skills (blocking, defensive positioning, throwing, game strategy and communication)
- Two practices per day Wednesday-Friday
- Classroom sessions including film review and theoretical game discussion,
- A full tournament all day Saturday
- Athletes must possess the physical fitness to make it through the duration of the camp.
USABA Wil invite up to eight interested coaches to attend and enhance their own goalball knowledge. Funding will be available for approved coaches (VA staff and other community coaches). No prior goalball experience is required; however, we will be looking for applicants who have an interest in building goalball programs in their community or having a continued involvement with the USABA Goalball Program. Coach attendees will learn how to:
- Teach skills and drills
- Coach game situations
- Referee effectively
Athletes interested in applying should fill out the application by clicking here by June 17, 2014. Interested coaches and VA staff must provide a cover letter to Matt Simpson at USABA (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than June 17, 2014. Please include details on your interest in the camp, your previous goalball experience and how you would hope to use the camp to develop the sport of goalball in your community or with blind veterans. Please direct any questions to Matt Simpson at email@example.com or call (719) 866-3019.
USABA’s mission is to enhance the lives of blind and visually impaired people by providing the opportunity for participation in sports and physical activity. For more information, go to www.usaba.org.
The grant funding for this program is awarded by U.S. Paralympics, a division of the U.S. Olympic Committee, through funding provided by Veterans Affairs. The grants are provided to facilitate the growth of Paralympic sport programming for disabled Veterans and disabled members of the Armed Forces.