USA Triathlon Launches Medical Multisport Event This Fall
7 Jul, 2014
USA Triathlon will welcome members of the medical community, including physicians, nurses and allied health professionals, to its first-ever Medical Multisport Conference, scheduled for Nov. 14-15.
The conference will take place at the Colorado Springs Olympic Training Center and U.S. Anti-Doping Agency CEO Travis Tygart will serve as the keynote speaker. Attendees will participate in panel discussions on current issues in the sport, including the roles of medical directors and cardiac endurance. Presenters include:
- Lawrence Creswell, M.D., Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Miss.
- Jason J. Diehl, M.D., Primary Care Sports Medicine at MAX Sports Medicine, OhioHealth Sports Medicine Center, Columbus, Ohio
- W. Douglas Hiller, M.D., Orthopedic Surgeon, North Hawai'i Community Hospital, Medical Delegate, International Triathlon Union (ITU)
- Andrew Hunt, M.D., Medical Director, USA Triathlon, Sports Medicine Physician, Illinois Bone and Joint Institute, Glenview, Ill.
- John M. Martinez, M.D., Primary Care Sports Medicine Physician, Kaiser Permanente, San Diego, Calif.
- Thomas K. Miller, M.D., Orthopedic Surgery, Virginia Tech Carilion Clinic, Roanoke, Va., Physician Director, Ironman Triathlon World Championship, Kona, Hawaii and Past Medical Director, USA Triathlon
- Susie Parker Simmons, RD, Senior Registered Dietitian, U.S. Olympic Training Center, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Troy Smurawa, M.D., Pediatric Sports Medicine Physician, Akron Children's Hospital, Akron, Ohio
"We are offering the Medical Multisport Conference this fall to expand medical education for multisport events and increase awareness for medical professionals," said Meg Weagley, USA Triathlon Multisport Education Manager. "We have been working to develop this conference for the last three years, and we will address topics specific to multisport and triathletes, including event safety, exercise and nutrition techniques, race day medicine, and overuse injuries."
Early-bird registration rates are available now until Sept. 1. More information on the Medical Multisport Conference, including how to register, is now posted at usatriathlon.org/events/medical-multisport-conference.aspx.
About USA Triathlon: USA Triathlon is proud to serve as the National Governing Body for triathlon, as well as duathlon, aquathlon, aquabike, winter triathlon, off-road triathlon and paratriathlon in the United States. Founded in 1982, USA Triathlon sanctions more than 4,300 races and connects with nearly 500,000 members each year, making it the largest multisport organization in the world. In addition to its work with athletes, coaches and race directors on the grassroots level, USA Triathlon provides leadership and support to elite athletes competing at international events, including International Triathlon Union (ITU) World Championships, Pan American Games and the Olympic and Paralympic Games. USA Triathlon is a proud member of the ITU and the United States Olympic Committee (USOC).