By the Numbers: The Little League World Series
22 Aug, 2018By: Michael Popke
The 72nd Little League World Series (LLWS), held in South Williamsport, Pa. — the event’s only home since its inception in 1947 — begins Aug. 16. A total of 16 teams (eight from the United States and eight from the rest of the world) will compete in the double-elimination tournament. The championship game is slated for Sunday Aug. 26 at 3 p.m. (EST) and will feature the top U.S. team vs. the top international team.
Here are 20 numbers to keep in mind as the LLWS progresses.
• 30: Number of LLWS games
• 30: Number of games that will be televised by the ESPN family of networks or ABC
• 233: Total number of Little League baseball and softball games that will be broadcast in 2018 on the ESPN family of networks and ABC (including the new ESPN+, a direct-to-consumer subscription streaming service
• 93: Total number of games that were broadcast in 2017
• 60: Worth, in millions of dollars, of ESPN’s current contract with Little League, which runs from 2015 to 2022
• 11, 12, 13: Ages of eligible LLWS players
• 25: Number of Major League Baseball Hall of Fame players who participated in Little League
• 17: Number of Little League World Series titles held by Taiwan, the most of any other country
• 2011: Most recent year in which the winning team was from the United States (Huntington Beach, Calif.)
• 57, 18: Length and height (respectively), in feet, of the new video scoreboard at Howard J. Lamade Stadium, one of two LLWS venues
• 3,300: Estimated seating capacity of the stadium
• 30,000: Estimated number of additional fans that the famous hill beyond the outfield fence can accommodate
• 29, 18: Length and height (respectively), in feet of the new video scoreboard at Volunteer Stadium, the other LLWS venue.
• 3,000: Estimated seating capacity of the stadium
• 46: Distance, in feet, of the pitching rubber from home plate in both stadiums
• 225: Distance, in feet, from home plate to all points of the outfield fence in both stadiums
• 60: Length, in feet, of the base paths in both stadiums
• 0: Amount, in dollars, of admission to LLWS games
• 26: Number of items prohibited inside both LLWS stadiums, including hoverboards, selfie sticks and baseball bats.
• 180,000: Number of teams worldwide involved in Little League