San Jose becomes ‘Gymnastics City USA’ This Week
7 Jul, 2016
San Jose, Calif., will again become Gymnastics City USA when SAP Center at San Jose plays host to the 2016 U.S. Olympic Team Trials –Gymnastics on July 8 and 10. On July 8-10, Gymnastics City USA includes Arena Green, located next to SAP Center, for the pre-competition Fan Fest that begins at 3 p.m. PT and is followed by the NBC Bay Area Watch Party, as well as the post-competition opportunities at Plaza de Cesar Chavez in downtown San Jose beginning at 7:30 PT. Gymnastics City USA will have something for everyone, from interactive activities, face painting and chalk art to a sand-sculpture beach to the NBC Bay Area Watch Party to music, games and food. Gymnastics City USA is open to everyone whether or not they have tickets to the women’s Trials. Additional fan opportunities for ticketed guests will be available on the SAP Center concourse prior to the start of competition.
The week’s festivities begin on July 7 at 7:30 p.m. at Plaza de Cesar Chavez. The celebration will feature fun activities, games and music.
Beginning at 3 p.m. July 8-10, the Gymnastics City USA Fan Fest at Arena Green will be a lively and interactive celebration of gymnastics, the Olympic Spirit, and this summer’s Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. In addition to sponsor and partner activations and giveaways, Gymnastics City USA will have free family-friendly programing, including DJs and music, gymnastics demonstrations, autograph signings, sand sculptures, chalk art, kid-friendly inflatables, the USA Gymnastics Ninja Challenge Championships, and Rio-themed activities. Food trucks and refreshments will also be available.
Fans without tickets are encouraged to stay at Arena Green and watch the live NBC broadcast of the women’s Trials at the NBC Bay Area Watch Party, scheduled for 6-8 p.m. PT on July 8 and 5:30-8 p.m. PT on July 10.
On July 8 and 10, the fun moves to Plaza de Cesar Chavez at 7:30 p.m. with games, music, food and beverages. The festivities and music at Plaza de Cesar Chavez continue following each night of the Trials and is free and open to the public
Here’s a quick summary of the opportunities available at Gymnastics City USA at Arena Green, as well as on the concourse of SAP Center.
Gymnastics City USA Fan Fest – Arena Green, open to the public
- Opening Ceremony, July 8, 2:30 p.m. Gymnastics enthusiasts and the general public are invited to the opening ceremony on Autumn Street, outside of SAP Center at San Jose, for the official opening of the the U.S. Olympic Team Trials and Gymnastics City USA at Arena Green.
- Gymnastics City USA Fan Fest, July 7-10, 3 p.m. Daily activities include music, gymnastics demonstrations, autograph signings, sand sculptures, chalk art, kid-friendly inflatables, photo booths, selfie stations, balloon-making, and Rio-themed activities. Food trucks and refreshments will also be staged at the Fan Fest. All activities at the Fan Fest, including the NBC Bay Area Watch Party, are free and open to all ages.
- Interactive games. The interactive opportunities include: carnival midway games like ring toss, Krazy Cans, milk can toss and over/under ball rolling; a giant slide; water bobbles; inflatable aquarium; climbing wall; and robo surf.
- Autumn Street stage. Athlete appearances, gymnastics club demonstrations, interviews, GK-Elite fashion shows (July 8 and 10 only), and more.
- Fan Zone stage. Athlete interviews; selfie station; Brazilian Samba dancing; NBC Bay Area live news reports; and the NBC Bay Area Watch Party.
- NBC Bay Area Watch Party, July 8-10. A live NBC Watch Party will follow the Fan Fest on both competition days. NBC will have a Broadcast Headquarters live at Gymnastics City USA, and will also host a live Watch Party during both competition days. The Watch Party will keep the celebration of the Olympic Trials going for those without tickets to experience all of the action live and cheer on Team USA hopefuls: July 8, U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Gymnastics, 6 p.m. PT; July 9 – U.S. Olympic Team Trials - Track and Field; and July 10 – U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Gymnastics, 5:30 p.m. PT
- COVERGIRL Make Up Demos and Mini Manicures. Fans can check out the latest COVERGIRL looks and how to create them by watching demonstrations by a P&G stylist. In addition, they can stop by and treat themselves to a mini manicure featuring patriotic colors and nail art.
- Hershey’s Hello From Home. With Hershey’s, fans can send a message to Team USA when they’re far from home at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio! Team USA’s athletes will be a hemisphere away, and Hershey’s wants to help fans send them some love with personalized messages. After fans write their message, they will have an opportunity to get a photo with Hershey and Miss Kiss, two of Hershey’s beloved mascots.
- Chobani. As proud sponsors of both USA Gymnastics and Team USA, Chobani naturally powers athletes of all levels with its delicious and nutritious Greek yogurt. Stop by the Chobani booth to learn more about Team Chobani, support a favorite gymnast at the photo booth and cheer table, and grab a cup of Chobani® Greek Yogurt, including the Brazilian inspired flavors Guava and Mango Passion Power™ Flip®.
- KT Tape. Olympic champion Kerri Strug will be at the KT Tape Booth on Sunday, July 10, from 3-4 p.m. to sign autographs and take photos with fans. Athletes and fans can stop by for a free KT Tape application to provide pain relief and support for muscles and ligaments. Staff will be on site to tape and to give instructions on the use and benefits of KT Tape. KT tape will also demonstrate its new products. Additionally, KT Tape will unveil a limited-edition USA Olympic tape similar to what Team USA team members may wear at the Olympics. Athletes of all levels should stop by to learn about KT Tape.
- USA Gymnastics Ninja Challenge Championships, July 10, 3 p.m. Two-time Olympic medalist and “American Ninja Warrior” competitor Jonathan Horton, along with Ninja Warrior competitors Miles Avery and Drew Drechsel, will be on hand when gymnasts, ages 6-11, from local gymnastics clubs race against the clock on an obstacle course that uses AAI gymnastics equipment. Fans can watch and cheer on these budding Ninjas in the finals, when the winners win tickets to the final day of competition.
SAP Center at San Jose concourse, July 8 and 10 (requires event ticket)
- P&G Beauty Bar. Fans can treat themselves to beauty services featuring P&G’s iconic brands, including Pantene, COVERGIRL and Gillette. Up dos, make-up refreshers, mini-manicures and, for the gentlemen, shaves. Fans can look their best while watching the best!
- P&G autograph sessions. Well-known gymnastics celebrities will sign autographs daily. The daily autograph schedule, which is subject to change, will be listed on SanJose2016.com. Approximately 300 individuals will have the opportunity for an autograph during the allotted time.
- Hershey’s Shannon Miller autograph signing. Hershey’s is providing fans with a chance to meet America’s most decorated gymnast and Hershey’s ambassador, Shannon Miller. Miller will sign autographs at the Hershey’s booth prior to the start of Friday’s session from 4:30 p.m. when doors open until 5:30 p.m. when competition begins. Approximately 300 individuals will have the opportunity for an autograph during the allotted time.
- Kellogg’s Fitness and Nutrition Zone. Kids can have fun and gain knowledge about the importance of fitness through the interactive Kellogg’s Fitness and Nutrition Zone that features physical challenges in building balance, strength, flexibility and cardiovascular exercise, all of which are fundamental to gymnastics. Participants get coaching tips from local gymnasts, can snap a photo on the Kellogg’s podium and share what gets them started each day on their way to greatness!
- AT&T. AT&T is creating the next level of connection between Team USA athletes and their supporters by bringing fans deeper into their world and keeping fans connected with them up through the Olympic and Paralympic Games via exclusive video updates. Stop by the AT&T area to become a Fanmate or visit www.attfanmate.com.
- Thorne informational booth. Athletes, coaches, and fans are welcome to stop by the table for more information on USA Gymnastics-approved Thorne product line. The Thorne team will be there to provide information and a catalog on the following NSF Certified for Sport products: Whey Protein Isolate, Catalyte - an electrolyte beverage, Amino Complex, and Florasport 20B - a probiotic.
- Gymnastics through the years. The exhibit features a combination of pictures, historical items, mementoes, and vintage equipment including a 1909 women’s pommel horse, to tell the story of the growth and development of gymnastics. Rome Milan is the exhibit’s owner and curator.
- International Gymnastics Camp. Fans can stop by the International Gymnastics Camp booth to learn about the IGC difference, to take home exciting camp information and cool giveaways, and to meet Olympic and World champion Svetlana Boguinskaia! Staff members are available to speak about the premier gymnastics training opportunities at IGC, the benefits of summer camp for children, and IGC’s incredible recreation activities.
- KT Tape. Spectators can stop by the KT Tape booth for a free KT Tape application to provide pain relief and support for muscles and ligaments. Staff will be on site to tape and to give instructions on the use and benefits of KT Tape. KT tape will also demonstrate its new products. Additionally, KT Tape will unveil a limited-edition USA Olympic tape similar to what Team USA team members may wear at the Olympics. Athletes of all levels should stop by to learn about KT Tape.
- Merchandise. Fans can purchase everything gymnastics, including event-specific tees, official event merchandise, Under Armour and GK leotards, and more, at merchandise booths on the concourse. An Olympic replica from the women’s gymnastics team competitive apparel line for the 2016 Olympic Games will be included in the assortment of leotards available. Autographed copies of 2008 Olympic all-around champion Nastia Liukin’s book, “Finding My Shine,” are available for just $25. In her book, Liukin talks about her personal journey of challenges and success, sharing tips for reaching goals and overcoming obstacles.
For additional information, visit SanJose2016.com and download the official mobile app from the Apple and Google Play app stores by searching “Gymnastics City USA” for the latest updates.
2016 is the second consecutive time the City of San Jose has hosted gymnastics’ Olympic Trials. This year’s Trials will determine which gymnasts earn a spot on Team USA to represent the United States at the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. In recognition of San Jose’s Olympic heritage and the City’s long relationship with the United States Olympic Committee and USA Gymnastics, the City of San Jose will transform itself into “Gymnastics City U.S.A.” throughout the duration of the Trials.
The U.S. Olympic Trials for all sports are a collaborative undertaking between the U.S. Olympic Committee, the national governing bodies and the local organizing committees.
- SAP Center at San Jose. Located in the heart of Silicon Valley, SAP Center at San Jose is the premier sports and entertainment venue in Northern California. Each year, SAP Center hosts approximately 175 events featuring professional and amateur athletes, Olympic athletes, Grammy award-winners, international recording artists, and a variety of performers who appeal to children and families alike. SAP Center at San Jose is home to the San Jose Sharks of the National Hockey League. For more information about SAP Center at San Jose and for a list of upcoming events, visit the SAP Center home page at www.sapcenter.com.
- San Jose Sports Authority. The San Jose Sports Authority is a non-profit organization whose mission is to increase the City of San Jose’s economic development, visibility and civic pride through sports. Serving as the City's sports commission since in 1991, the Sports Authority has provided leadership and support to attract and host hundreds of sporting events in San Jose and the South Bay. The Sports Authority also supports and operates community, youth and amateur sports programs, including the San Jose Sports Hall of Fame and the REACH Youth Scholarship Program. To learn more, visit www.sjsa.org.
- USA Gymnastics. Based in Indianapolis. USA Gymnastics is the national governing body for gymnastics in the United States. Its mission is to encourage participation and the pursuit of excellence in the sport. Its disciplines include men's and women's artistic gymnastics, rhythmic gymnastics, trampoline and tumbling, acrobatic gymnastics, and group gymnastics. For more information, visit www.usagym.org.